MMTA Piano Contest
MMTA hosts an annual State Piano Contest, with Contest Preliminaries in late-January/early February, and Contest Finals in March. Students who win in the preliminary round participate in the final round. Winners in the final round are assigned a piano ensemble part and perform in an Honors Concert in May or June. Find details here.
MMTA hosts an annual vocal/instrumental contest. Students who win in the Preliminaries participate in the Contest Finals, as well as perform in a Performance Recital directly following the contest. Select the desired instrument from the "Programs" dropdown for details.
Young Artist Contest
To encourage high performance standards, MMTA sponsors a Young Artist Contest in March. Competition categories include, piano, organ, strings, voice, and woodwinds. Select the desired instrument from the "Programs" dropdown for details.
Teacher Checklist for MMTA Contests
- Select a piece from the appropriate materials list
- Attend a workshop on how to teach contest music (currently piano only)
- Fulfill Theory prerequisites prior to the deadline
- Check if you're available to volunteer
- Register online or via mail prior to the deadline
MTNA offers their own set of competitions for instruments and for voice. See MTNA's website for details.