The 2022 Piano Contest and Piano Solo Festival season is coming up soon! Here are a few reminders and pieces of information:
- The registration deadline for both Piano Contest and Piano Solo Festival is Wednesday, December 1, 2021. Online registration is open now through December 1st at 11:59pm. Mailed registrations must be postmarked on or before December 1st.
- Students in Piano Contest in categories Intermediate A and above need to have passed the Theory Level 2 Exam prior to December 1st. The only exceptions are those pre-approved by VP-Piano Contests, Inese Krievans. (Note: There is no theory prerequisite for Piano Solo Festival.) If an exception is granted, student(s)' scores must be submitted through the MMTA website prior to the Piano Contest Preliminary date.
- For 2022 ONLY: Teachers will decide if their student(s) should stay in the same category as they competed in in 2021, or if they are ready to advance to the next category. See the 2021-2022 MMTA Handbook, p. 22, for more information.
- Events listed as in-person in the Handbook will remain so unless otherwise announced. MMTA is hoping to keep sites in person; but reminds teachers to watch the Weekly Update for information in case the global health situation changes.
In-Person Events: (Piano Contest Preliminaries and Piano Solo Festival)
- January 22, 2022 C St. Cloud
- January 22-23, 2022 TC Bethel University
- January 29, 2022 NE Duluth
- January 29, 2022 NW Detroit Lakes
- January 29, 2022 SE Rochester
- January 29, 2022 W Alexandria
- January 30, 2022 SW Marshall
Virtual Event*: (For students who are unable to participate in an in-person event due to illness or family preference. Includes Piano Contest Preliminaries and Piano Solo Festival.)
- January 23, 2022 Video submission deadline
*Online registration for Virtual Piano Contest and Virtual Piano Solo Festival is now available through the Events page on the MMTA website.
Registration deadlines for in-person Piano Contest Finals are as following:
- Central and Twin Cities: January 29, 2022
- All other districts: February 5, 2022
- Virtual Preliminary Contest: February 5, 2022
As of now, no virtual option will be offered for Piano Contest Finals - unless, that is, the global health situation warrants a change from in-person to virtual.