Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The MMTA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee meets first Fridays online. We are always looking for new members to help with this important work! Please contact the office (via the "contact" link at the bottom of this page) to get in touch.
MMTA DEI Statement
We, the members of the Minnesota Music Teachers Association (MMTA), affirm the diversity statement issued by our parent organization, the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA).
In Minnesota, we recognize that our organization has overrepresented certain peoples and musical styles while underrepresenting, overlooking, and/or forgetting others. MMTA is committed to adopting best practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), in order to:
- Make well-informed decisions that include underrepresented populations;
- Educate and inform our members; and
- Actively implement these practices in our programs.
In our quest to continually educate ourselves about DEI, we pledge to:
- Celebrate and encourage creative expression wherever we find it, both in our shared heritage and as we change and grow.
- Strive to create pathways to student-centered outcomes in our educational programs and teaching studios.
- Center our leadership and decision-making processes on the voices of students, teachers, members, families, volunteers, staff, and communities.
MMTA has a standing DEI committee which acknowledges the evolving nature of this work and the above statement. We commit to:
- Regular meetings.
- Collaboration with community members.
- Prioritizing this work at our annual convention.
- Our own research and development.
Via these steps, action and change will occur within our organization for the betterment of all.